Monday, April 23, 2007

Earth Day

I was so bummed that I could not be with my dh and older dc for Earth day celebrations yesterday, but I am glad that dh was able to take them to a fun festival. My husband and I have been conservation minded for our entire marriage...we were both that way before our union so it has been a natural progression for us. Saying that we are *conservation minded* though, does not actually mean we have arrived at a lifestyle that is completely reflective of our ideals...but we are trying to take one step at a time to move in the direction where our beliefs and our practices actually sync up.

What we have already instituted in our home:
* Recycling (even when it isn't convenient)
* Reducing water consumption
* Switching to Compact Flourescent light bulbs
* Switching to non toxic cleaners that are also vegetable based not petroleum based
* Using re-useable canvas bags for shopping etc., or asking to go without bags when possible
* Using our own coffee mugs when we go out to coffee
* We've used cloth diapers and various times, when I'm not pregnant or going insane
* Using cloth napkins, rags, towels, and wipes rather than paper products
* Re-purposing items to save them from landfills
* Replacing our doors and windows with more efficient ones
* Changing our showerhead to a slow flow
* Shopping organically and supporting small independent farms and companies whose practices are gentler to our earth.
* Purchasing energy efficient appliances

Where I'd like to see us go in the near future:
* Buy a hybrid car
* Switch to cloth diapers full time
* Switch to cloth feminine products (if I can cope)
* Finding and installing the best insulation for our home
* Composting
* Begin our own garden
* Stop the junk mail that comes our way
* Stop buying new items... seek used ones first
* Install a water filtration for our home so we can discontinue our Arrowhead delivery
* Install new toilets
* purchasing and using smart strips that reduce the rate of electricity suckage from un-used appliances in our home.
* Supporting the movement in a greater way financially
* I'd like us to be more vocal about what we are doing so others might consider some of what we do to Reduce Reuse Recycle.


All in all I think we are moving forward. It has been an exciting year for us. Environmentalism in general and Global Warming in specific is gaining footing in the mainstream media and thought. Celebrities like Leo DiCaprio, Oprah, Sheryl Crow, Alicia Silverstone, Noah Wyle, Matt Damon... and of course a certain politician are speaking out and helping to raise awareness of what is really at stake and just how close we are to losing everything we need to sustain life on this planet. I am encouraged that real change is actually beginning. May our children and childrens' children look back on this time as the turning point where we as a world united to save our mother earth.

Okay, Okay, enough. But may I get one more tidbit in before I descend my soap box. Think. Act. Change. That is my daily mantra these days.

No comments: