Monday, May 21, 2007

I need to parent inside my personality...

Baby J has been night waking for quite some time now. First it was because Sweet Pea was here and she was seeking mommy's attention at night. Then she got sick and she has been battling double ear infections for over two weeks now. We thought we had it licked, but then two nights ago she started night waking again. I wasn't completely making the connection that she was in pain and so I was trying to be firm in boundaries...you know, the you need to stay asleep and stay in your bed sort of thing. That devastated her and we had a total meltdown at 3 AM on Sunday morning.

The next day I was all set to just lay the smack down...I was a tired momma and we all need sleep. Luckily, it occurred to me that when I lay the smack down like this it often backfires. I don't do mean mommy well. So after a nap I was able to sit down with Baby J and tell her what was expected and David and I came up with a middle of the night game plan of keeping Sweet Pea out of harms way, while allowing me to deal with Baby J. She woke up twice in the middle of the night last night and I comforted her and she cooperated with my wishes, so she was easily comforted back to sleep. Thank God!

I called the doctor today and her double ear infections are worse. I am so thankful that my instinct was able to override my exhaustion. I always regret it when I parent outside of my instinct, but when I listen to that mommy intuition within it always helps. So now we are on round two of antibiotics and lots of yogurt... hopefully this will help her little body fight off this infection. I hate it when my babies are sick.

No comments: