Thursday, July 12, 2007

Of course you can forget

This is not really news to clinicians that have been working with sufferers of PTSD. I know the article is slanted towards how these findings give hope to those who want aid is forgetting trauma, but my response is that I am glad they are finding concrete evidence of the theory of how the brain stores traumatic information in the first place. There is such a huge debate about "forgotten memories" and as a survivor I feel like I can breathe and really feel normalized in my own struggles of fragmented memories from my past. I've known for some time that I can rely on the accuracy of my stored emotion, even if I am not validated in my experience of certain events. I have huge affects from my past without concrete answers. But now science is beginning to back that up. I am very interested in reading more about this study and I am even more interested in learning if the results of this study can be replicated.

No comments: