Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things that I miss

When we moved into our home, we chose to put all of our less sturdy possession in our garage until our baby was more steady on his feet and could have enough impulse to leave the stuff alone. It was great in theory... but that was 4.5 years ago, and my grandmother's furniture and special tea cup collection is still in our garage, because our baby boy has been joined by a baby sister and then a baby brother. And I miss having vintage around me. Seriously. I also miss the hunt. So I am hoping to get back into the thrift store, antique shopping mode. I don't need a ton of stuff, but I would like to find the right solutions for our home that make it just that much more homey.

Plus, I am done with plastic stuff. I have plastic table cloths, plastic place mats, plastic toys, etc... I want that which is organic around me. In our plastic and disposable world, I have become de-synthesized to the way things actually are. Life is finite, work is hard, things of the heart (home, family, creation) take constant care...

... And that is the point. Life has an amazing cycle to it, and I was missing it, complaining about it, or denying it. I just want to learn how to embrace it once more. The ironic thing is that my children don't need to be taught to notice the natural rhythms of life... but I have been teaching them to forget what they came into this world knowing, and to conform to a convenient, and manageable living.

It stops here, at the point of awareness.

1 comment:

gefilte said...

I want to go there with you! Today was a good reminder of how far I have to go to get there... in so many ways