Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I've been bitten by the travel bug

Going to Mexico was such an exciting adventure. I've been all over the place in the continental US, but have never had the opportunity to travel abroad and now I gotta do it again, and again and again. It is so interesting to see a different culture, and get to peek inside for just a bit. Our next big trip is going to be to Greece in 2010 and I just cannot wait to take my children to europe!!!

I am not one of those Americans who believe we have the art of living mastered... that our culture is the only right and best way to conduct community. While in Mexico, I was at a tourist destination resort, with all of the luxaries I could think of, but I quickly grew restless of life inside the resort. I did not travel to another country to see just an americanized view of the Mexican experience. I wanted Mexican culture. Really I did. So we found little pockets of it where we could. We asked people about life and the best places to see, and how to avoid the tourist traps. We were quite limited with options because our kids are so little, but I believe we will travel to Puerto Vallarta again sometime soon, and we will know where we want to be and what we will want to do.

Now I know how I travel in a foreign land, and gratefully... dh and I are totally on the same page. We have very similar goals and perspectives of how we would like to spend our time, so our next trip abroad will be wonderful... I think I'm gonna start planning right now!

No comments: