Wednesday, April 16, 2008

poetic mosiac...

"If I can stop one heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain,
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.'
-- Emily Dickinson

My soul has opened to a new understanding on how to really accomplish my foundation goal in the world. When I was reading through a book from the library... "The Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson", this bit of work reached out and grabbed my attention because it resonated the truth my soul is now open to.

I want to be an energy of encouragement in the world. I have known for a very long time that I have been given the gift of discernment, the gift of compassion... often coined as the gift of service, and the gift of communication. I want to pour those gifts into the world in such a way as to encourage fellow travelers. Wisdom is teaching me that my path towards that simplicity is to follow my feelings of pain and vulnerability back to their sources in my childhood. Grieve those pools of memory pain allowing transformation to rise up in me. I will be a better source of encouragement if I remember my own experience of brokenness and vulnerability. Staying with that will take me to my greater goal of being present for someone else.

All of that reminded me of something I penned years ago...

Robin- July 12, 2001

running fast breath swallowed time
escape the porcelain- divorce the mind
crime, crime broke the priceless melody
left a wounded crying child-
amidst unfathomable debris

endless memory replayed denied
run from girl- me beyond the eyes
violence, violence crushed sweet song
left a hollow worthless shell-
exposed to nightmare reality

years behind pain ahead
breath caught- deflates porcelain soul
crying, crying releases balming harmony
brings the child to her knees in truth-
wrapping agony around hope bittersweet

No comments: