Thursday, October 2, 2008

My daughter supplies with a breath of fresh air.

This is not a blog that often ventures into the political arena, yet in the midst of this historic and very disconcerting election season, I am finding myself feeling suffocated by sexism around every corner. For the record, I am an Obama fan... pretty much since his opening speech at the 2004 DNC. I never endorsed Clinton... I was thrilled a woman had a serious chance, but my politics don't always align with her leadership. I do however think that she does Hillary Clinton well, and therefore I have a true respect for her.

I can't even spend much energy writing or frankly even thinking about Sarah Palin's nomination, but I can say this... I feel and see a collective undoing of years of advancement for women everywhere.

But this post is not about the lack of equality in our midst. No, this post is about the pure truth that all are created equal... we just assign hierarchy later. My daughter made it very clear to me this morning:

Baby J: "Mommy, are you a doctor?"
me: "No, I'm a mommy and a photographer."
Baby J: "Why aren't you a dr.?"
me: "Because I don't want to be a doctor, that is not my talent. I am good at taking pictures, and at being a mommy."
Baby J: "Well, I don't want to be a mommy, I want to be a doctor." (long pause)
me: "You can be whatever you want to be... whatever your talent is."
Baby J: (another long pause) "No, I want to be a mommy and a doctor. That's what I want to do... both."
me: "I like that plan."

As sexism is being tolerated and encouraged all around us, it is good to have a conversation like this with my 3 year old. I can't focus on what is wrong. I have to focus on what is right... and work towards helping what is wrong shift for my life, and for my daughter's life too. She believes she can do anything... and it does not even occur to her that she can't do things her brothers can. That's progress... amazing progress.

No comments: