Wednesday, November 19, 2008

An opportunity to be mindful of Simplicity...

... Or in lay woman's terms, dh got laid off from his "secure" job last week.

I've gone through many emotions, since my husband gave me the news of the lay off...six weeks before Christmas. Fear, sadness, anger, worry, peace that we will be okay, and a oddly familiar excitement that something new is on the horizon for him. I do not earn an income for our family in this season of nurturing wee ones, but I believe my value to my family far outweighs any amount of money I could bring in right now. So I see it as my job to provide us with stability, good stewardship and creative financing... aka keeping our monthly living expenses to a bare minimum, while still making sure that we enjoy the abundance of our resources. So now is my opportunity to think creative about how to live lean in a time of societal economic turmoil and familial uncertainty.

We have worked hard to get out of debt and in the past five years we have gone from completely leveraged with short term and long term debt, to only having a mortgage and one car payment. We are still working on our savings, but we will be able to weather a storm for a bit. That work has already been done. We learned our lesson after the last time of economic turmoil. It was a very tough lesson, but it was so worth it. So now what?

Well, I don't exactly know. But I do know this. Last Thursday when we got the news, I turned to my laundered money stash, that was earmarked for a trip to Greece in 2010, and realized I have squirreled away at least $110-$150 dollars in the last five years. Just in the change from our pockets and any money that has found it's way through our laundary and into our clothes dryer... thus the name of the kitty... *The Laundered Money Stash".

So for this Christmas, it will be business as usual. We have been planning our way towards a smaller and mostly hand made christmas all year, and with what I have already stashed on the gift shelf, and the money I am currently counting out of the The Laundared Money Stash, we will have what we need to have a wonderful and abuntant holiday season.

Returning to a life of simplicity is really paying off for us. I am so grateful for my husband who works hard, and shares my goals for our family. I am grateful that I can rest in the truth that my needs have already been accounted for, and I can feel good that I am walking towards a lifestlye of simplicity, where we always use our resources consciously... in lean times and in feast times.

So in the coming weeks I am sure there will be posts here and there about our journey. I know that there are families everywhere, struggling with these realities, and rather than turn towards despair, I want to have a spirit of adventure.

No comments: