Monday, September 27, 2010

Along the Road




This space has been around for quite some time and it has been a place of refuge for me as I have journeyed through life in recent years. In this past year however I have avoided it like it was dangerous, and only in the past few weeks have understood that fear.

When I began to blog I named this place of mine "Poetic Chaos" and it was a perfect description of the way I was experiencing the world, relationship, parenting, marriage, and frankly it really captured the experience of residing inside of my own head, heart and soul. Needless to say, I was struggling... with everything. During that time I poured out my perspective of the world and dug out a little niche that made it easier for me to gain the strength to reign in the chaos.

Then about two-ish years ago I moved into a new stage where a better description of my life experience was "Poetic Simplicity". It coincided with a huge internal shift towards letting the light wash over me and my world view. Deep, deep healing had begun and I was seeking the simple in life. Love, joy, beauty, truth. Simple truth is so difficult to actually live in though, so like most times in my life, I wrote about the sort of life I wanted to grow into... not exactly the sort of life that I was mired it presently. That is when I began to back away from this blog. From myself. It is so much easier to pretend that life is simple, than to actually grow up a maturity and discipline to really embrace a simple life.

Out of that season I have wrestled with most everything inside of me and I have found the things I need for my journey into "Poetic Stillness". I am going to state this disclaimer right up front... I do not have the art of stillness mastered, but I want to grow into that discipline. Simplicity seems like an essential ingredient for stillness... and so I am not just re-naming my blog again... I am moving my exploration of the art of simplicity to a Photo Blog. Take a look if you'd like. I am hoping that stillness will draw me back into this space. It is a sort of home for me!

I cannot help but add one of my favorite lyrics to a blog post about journey. I love it and I hope you do too:


Along The Road
Joy at the start
Fear in the journey
Joy in the coming home
A part of the heart
Gets lost in the learning
Somewhere along the road.

Along the road
Your path may wander
A pilgrim’s faith may fail
Absence makes the heart grow stronger
Darkness obscures the trail.

Cursing the quest
Courting disaster
Measureless nights forebode
Moments of rest
Glimpses of laughter
Are treasured along the road.

Along the road
Your steps may tumble
Your thoughts may start to stray
But through it all a heart held humble
Levels and lights your way.

Joy at the start
Fear in the journey
Joy in the coming home
A part of the heart
Gets lost in the learning
Somewhere along the road
Somewhere along the road
Somewhere along the road.


No comments: