Thursday, January 12, 2012

Self Care

It did not take long for me to become emotionally and physically depleted as a way of life once I began my mothering journey.  The early years of caring for small children is depleting by definition, so I found  my self care habits made or broke my ability to be the kind of mom my kids need and deserve.  Once I had that third child, I needed more time away...while at the same time I had a whole lot less time in general because my older children had begun school and activities.  Finding a good balance has been tricky, but I am happy to say, I finally have some balance.












Now that my kids are all old enough, I go out of town about 4 weekends a year to get my creative juices flowing.  I've done scrapbooking retreats, spiritual conventions, and a couple of photo weekends.  This past December I had a wonderful weekend away, just before Christmas and it was amazing!  My sil... really a sister by another mother, is an awesome partner in crime when it comes to these sorts of weekends away!  We had tickets to see Tori Amos in concert, so we made a weekend of it.  We stayed at the beautiful Biltmore Hotel, walked the streets of LA doing street photography and went to MOCA.  By the end of the weekend, I was overflowing with creativity.  It has been a long, long time since I have felt an abundance of creative energy, so I am grateful for the inspiration, good times, and plain old simple rest.

No comments: