Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Freedom


"Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.  It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom. If you bite and ravage each other, watch out—in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then?My counsel is this: Live freely, animated and motivated by God's Spirit. Then you won't feed the compulsions of selfishness. For there is a root of sinful self-interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. These two ways of life are antithetical, so that you cannot live at times one way and at times another way according to how you feel on any given day. Why don't you choose to be led by the Spirit and so escape the erratic compulsions of a law-dominated existence?"  Galations 5:1, 13-18 The Message 
Story connects us.  Our personal story connects us to a collective story and that is our most basic emotional need... to feel deeply connected.  Yet we live in a world of fragmented realities and fractured stories, broken families, and chaotic lives.  I live in a world of fragmented reality, fractured story, broken family, and chaotic living... except when I don’t.
When I am able to hold onto the truth that I have been given freedom to live as I choose; I live in a grounded reality, an unfolding rather than fractured story, a family messy and connected, and my busyness is hushed into stillness.  
In the space of freedom I connect to my wholeness.  Freedom to be as created, freedom to be close to some and distant from others, freedom to move freely in an organic relationship with creator or to run away when I need to.  Freedom to love extravagantly and protect myself wisely.  But when I use my freedom to only fulfill self desires, my life is flat.  I have had plenty of flatness in my life because after all I am quite ego-centric sometimes.  But when I allow my freedom to live in the open, I hope it can invite others to lean into their freedom a bit more.  Who knows what more love, more consciousness, more purposefulness, and more freedom could do to shift our collective story.
I have felt very little freedom to share my story in whole and I know it is the shame I get mired down in.  I watch myself share bits and pieces across time, but now I am working on the arc of my story, because I have been given an incredible story of hope, perseverance, and extravagant grace and mercy.  I want to grow into my freedom enough to communicate the part of my story that connects to the collective.  It is a part of why I am here... to point to the horizon of hope and freedom.  Hopefully I can start lifting my gaze in that direction more often, because when I lose sight of the source of freedom, I destroy my freedom and sometimes others too.  May I be guided out of the life of self focus and into a life of consistent freedom.
To lighten things up a bit today I wanted to shared some stories that have inspired me... and they are in no particular order or catagory.  Some are books, some are movies...maybe a few that are both.  I even manage to sneak a album, TV show and a broadway musical in there too.  Yes I am completely random! 
Juno
Dogma
The Lord Of The Rings
Where the Heart Is
Pride and Prejudice
Les Miserables
Rent
The Night of the Hunters- Tori Amos
Lars and the Real Girl
Steel Magnolias
Schlinder’s List
The Wizard of Oz
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Hunger Games
Amadeus
Indian Jones and the Last Crusade
Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Big Lebowski
Shawshank Redemption
12 Angry Men
Star Wars
American History X
Good Will Hunting
The Grapes of Wrath
The West Wing...I’m re-watching the series this summer and it is better the second time around.

No comments: