Wednesday, March 13, 2013

One Excellent Book


I had the most incredible opportunity to attend an intimate spiritual retreat where Dr. Thompson was teaching back in July and was able to learn so much about meditation from this kind spirited man.  I wrote about the Seasons weekend here, and all of these months later I am certain of the reality I hoped would be true then...that my life path was shifted that weekend.  Everything I was learning in my own spiritual life, the truths I was grieving in my life and marriage, the art I was creating, and the trauma I was processing in my long term therapeutic process all came together for me in the days I spent learning about the integration of the mind and soul with Dr. Curt Thompson.  

I started reading this book the week after that incredible experience and it has been a long time temporally but I finished the book just a few days ago.  It is so unusual for me to take so long to finish a book... I read multiple books at a time and can dive through books both fiction and non-fiction fairly quickly, so that it took months to finish this book is quite significant.  I am a bit of a nerd... you know the kind that reads books on neuroscience just for fun... so I was already reading another book he was drawing information from- The Developing Mind by Daniel Siegel, so this book met me right where I was already at.  (Interestingly enough, I have not finished Siegel's book even still... and I started it months before The Anatomy of the Soul.  Have I mentioned that reading about neuroscience can hurt a lay woman's brain a bit?)

Anyway, The Anatomy of the Soul is hands down one of the best non-fiction books I have ever read.  I have not thought as deeply about my spirituality, my growth process, and my health ever... and I'm in the business of being mindful of all of these facets of my life on a regular basis.  I highly recommend this book.  Go out and get this book if you have interest in theology, churchiness, mindfulness, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control- AKA The Fruits of the Spirit.  You will not be disappointed!

Dr. Curt- Thank you so much for sharing your vision of the world and humanity.  Your voice is very important in this age!

Check Out His Book:

His Website:

No comments: