Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Trust But Verify


I had the wonderful pleasure of visiting the Reagan Library this past weekend, and no...the building did not fall down upon my entrance as a friend was afraid might happen.  Reagan is the president of my child heart and he can do no wrong in my book.  (Which is a good thing, since according to the Library proclamation...he was actually perfect in every way.)

I have been in both political parties throughout my voting years even as my political convictions have changed very little over the course of time.  I am that swing vote that pollsters love to target.  If I lived in Ohio... I would be a very popular selection for focus groups.  My viewpoints have changed little, but the political landscape has moved to the edges, so I no longer fit in the party I was affiliated with.  (I'll let you decide which one that was.)  I am socially progressive and I also like to keep as much of my earnings as possible, which makes me a misfit for either party these days.  I would register as independent, but I have a soft spot for the two party system.

I had a wonderful time at the library and learned so much.  I love this country more and more each and every day.  If you live in the SoCal area or are planning a visit some time, I highly recommend this experience.  If you can make it this summer even better, because there is a Lincoln exhibit right now and that was awesome too.  I might share some pictures from that exhibit next week.  Here is the museum from my eye:

A journal Ronald Reagan kept

I have a 6 year old boy who was very excited to see Spider Man on an egg.  You may ask why this is on display... 



After being criticized for her wardrobe habits and more specifically the cost of her wardrobe, the First Lady had this response:  She dressed up in this outfit and did a little act to a song called "Secondhand Clothes".  Love that!  
Once a star, always a star!



 This is one of my favorite White House nooks...though I've only ever seen it on screen.  I had no idea that it was Nancy Reagan who commissioned it.


Flying in Style



I remember this speech and I remember the day the wall came down. 
 Powerful words. 


The actual suit Ronald Reagan was wearing the day of the assassination attempt.  
I was clueless about just how serious his injuries were that day. 


 In light of recent events, this appointment has proven to be one for the history books.

I think I idolized Margaret Thatcher even more that Ronald Reagan..I think its a gender thing.



And one for dh...people have occasionally referred to him as Kilroy... 
I might be one of them.... 
The Berlin Wall Exhibit



No comments: