Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mess

So I guess my theme word for this fall will be mess.  Between the MOPS theme of Beautiful Mess and the Messy Church program beginning at church... mess is all around me.  You know... in a good way!  As I have been brainstorming and learning, I've also had a chance to evaluate where my life is these days and really measure where I've been and where God is leading me.  My family is mostly out of the messy phase of early childhood...but I remember that time well.  I documented it here on this blog when it still had the name of poetic chaos:

Visions from underneath the thinking cap

or...

There really is a good use for a remote control with a finding remote...

or...

Life with the wee ones

or...

Caught

or...

Life with a toddler

I'm learning the mess in this season is more family system related...you know, because families include unique people with depravity.  Relating can be messy and sticky as a result.  Or the mess is more schedule related...you know, how does one adult get three kids to three separate places at the same time after school?  Or, how do two adults meet the needs of three little people as they start having their own schedules?

And do you know what, I'll take the mess in this season over the early days anytime.  Now I have more room to care for my needs and organize my life around my priorities and intentions, rather than a triage of needs.  But I miss the sweetness and the organic nature of life from back then...just not the mess.

I think I have learned more in this life through the mess than through the neat, though so as much as I prefer neat, I need to embrace the mess of my life.  Mess can be good for my soul.  It's through the mess that I experience how much grace and freedom God offers me, which in turn allows me to hopefully offer more grace and freedom to others.  That's my goal for this fall...to offer more grace and freedom to others in the midst of their mess and to embrace my mess in an honest and humble way.


No comments: