Friday, September 6, 2013

Back to Routine...

Picture Edited with Rhonnadesigns.com app

I normally don't add words my Friday images, but today I must.  I love adding special touches for my kids on many special days throughout the year.  I happen to be a crafty sort, so I don't often feel anxious about these little splashes of creative love, but I have heard from other friends that it can be a huge stressor for moms.  Every now and again I add my back story to this little ole' blog, to help keep things real and break this down to a manageable size for those moms that want to do theses sort of things....not that every mom *should* want to do these things.  (Each person gets to decide what things are important to them.  I rarely cook a from scratch meal...in fact I doubt many would classify what I provide for dinner as cooking at all.  I am okay with that.)

I thought I had left over paper from years past to make place mats for the trio for the special day, and I was so confident that I waited until 10 PM the night before to pull this together.  I did think ahead by purchasing the books when they were on sale.  So at 10 PM I had no school paper in my studio...boo.  After considering a meltdown, I calmed myself into believing this was not a time to stress...it was an opportunity to improvise. I have a ton of black construction paper and plenty of chalk...so whala...instant place mat that I will feel no angst in throwing out next week!  The notebook paper napkins were in the the dollar bin at Target.  That was all that was needed.  Oh and those cute pinwheels...I made those several years ago and I just keep re-purposing them over and over again.  They first made their appearance in our family life in this post. 

So to re-cap... here are my pointers to make this happen:

1. DO NOT stress out... it isn't worth it.  I always tell the kids I teach art to that there are "No mistakes in art...only opportunities to be creative and make something better."  If you procrastinate like I did, just work with what you have.  The kids are gonna wreck anything paper anyway, so it's okay to change course!

2.  DO NOT spend a ton of money...it isn't worth it.  Look for sales and tuck away things that might come in handy someday.  I keep a gift closet with toys I find on clearance throughout the year.  I know we are gonna need party gifts and Christmas gifts and so I try to stay ahead of the game.

3.  DO NOT re-invent the wheel...it isn't necessary.  Re-purpose what you have, search the Internet for ideas, and borrow things from friends.  Share and pass down what you've done too.

4.  DO NOT try and do it all...it isn't even possible.  Decide what you want and what will make the biggest impact for your wee ones.  Discernment is the super power I am trying to grow in my heart these days, because I believe it allows me to have some balance in this crazy life of raising school aged children.

I believe things like this are supposed to be fun for the whole family... and that means mom too!  I took this picture on my phone and edited it with an iPhone app.  It took me 5 minutes... but I am already a photographer, so I have madskills... you know as in *crazy*.  I imagine that you can easily do it in 15 minutes even if you are a newbie!

No comments: