Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veteran's Day

I got into this conversation a while back when the first news broke around the NSA and Edward Snowden.  The person I was talking with suggested that this contract worker that chose to leak national security documents was a national hero.  I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  I don't know Edward Snowden, but he lit a match and then fled the country.  I don't know what he is, but I will not believe he is a national hero, at least not at this juncture.

When our elected leaders voted the Patriot Act into law, we as the people had to know that we wouldn't want to know what measures were being employed to *protect us*.  The manner in which the whole issue of privacy came back into the national conversation seems to be all drama to me...and he provoked it, but not to be a part of a solution.  His motives still seem unclear to me all these months later.

A true national hero is someone who is willing to lay down his or her life to preserve freedom,  justice, and liberty for all.  This is what a national hero looks like:



or...



On this day I want to remember these men and all of the men and women of our armed services.  Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!


No comments: