Saturday, February 22, 2014

Celebrating Valentine's Day in the Real World



We usually have some fun traditions around Valentine's Day for the kids, but honestly dh and I have mostly struggled with this holiday.  We are so not the flowers and chocolates sort of people though through our 20's (maybe into our 30's) we believed we "should" be these sorts of romantics since we are "passionate" people.  Then our marriage exploded and we got more honest with ourselves and each other.  I like being on this side of our marriage explosion because this was the first year I could stomach this holiday.  This year's holiday was quirky and random... I like quirky and random, it fits us better.  Let me share...


Oh there were three gifts on a table that were purchased at 8:45 the night before...but there was nothing cute, nothing thought out.  The kids were just as happy this year as last...which is kind of humbling for a crazy momma that does this every year...


The banner did go up but there is no picture so I'll just use last year's...


Dh skillfully and tentatively approached me about a week before the holiday and said...do we really want to do anything for Valentine's.  Can we just agree not to do any cards, or flowers, or anything like that...I'm happy to do Messy Church that night and then binge watch House of Cards all weekend.  He had me at hello.  
Seriously... 

Best.Words.Ever.

All of this transpired because of this little detail...




So that is what we did to celebrate Valentine's Day 2014...
The End.


No comments: